Monday 5 December 2011

Holidays.Deamau5.Allergic to Work

So its that time of year; that time of year when i really get see how broke I am. During the term I don't really have time to spend money, or at least its easier to find an excuse to do nothing. But now it is holiday time, and its summer, and its almost new years. So I decided it was time to make some cash money, and unfortunately this means I need to get a job (I am almost certain I am allergic). So far my holiday has been pretty good, starting with free tickets to a Balkanology party in Stellenbosch which was amazing. It was like nothing I have experienced before, all I can describe it as is pure happiness because that is what I felt from the time I got there to the time I left. It really was something magical. A few days later I went to a Bacardi Masterclass in Cape Town where they taught us a thing or two about Bacardi. What they taught us about the legacy of Bacardi, its history and all that was really quite interesting. They then fed us booze. Lots and lots of Bacardi. We even got to try a Heston Blumenthal inspired strawberry daiquiri which was pretty cool. For those who don't know, Heston is a british chef famous for taking a scientific approach to cooking. He creates amazing food like you have never seen before and his restaurant, The Fat Duck, has been awarded three Michelin stars. The daiquiri was served on a spoon and looked like pink spaghetti bolognese. It was interesting to say the least.

But free tickets to events are few and far between so the idea of getting a job became a reality. The first bit of work I did was as a bartender for an event at Marimba at the CTICC. People were spending loads of cash on expensive drinks and not tipping. I'm talking R118 on two drinks and then waiting for their R2 rand change. By 2 in the morning I was taking it no more. I came to the realization that it was late on a Sunday evening/early Monday morning and not many places would still be open so I did what any poor student would do (I think), and demanded that I get tipped before I would serve the drinks. People seemed to realize the power shift, I mean think about it, I was the person standing between them and their drinks. I made a nice amount tips by the end of the night. I woke up the next morning sick; like I said, I am allergic to jobs. My second job was for a private "Welcome to Summer Party" which was something else. I won't go in to to much detail, or any at all really, as I am still trying to forget about it. I will say though that the food I was serving was great, and I got to try a scallop which I had only ever seen on TV (I had to find a highlight for the evening and this very expensive little piece of fish was all I could come up with). 

My most recent job I would say was the most exciting. I worked at the Deadmau5 concert at the CTICC in Cape Town. I got to work the VIP section which was relatively chilled, this was understandable as the bar was behind the stage. This fact makes no sense to me, I mean if I had paid extra for VIP I would want to be able to see the stage; but each to his own I guess. Deadmau5 was awesome, and the crowd were all extremely excited with almost everyone wearing some kind of Deadmau5 paraphernalia. Also by the end of the night half the people buying drinks from me were grinding their teeth, hmmm. There was one guy who bought two double vodka and cokes from me and then proceeded to take the bottle from over the bar and poor himself some more. This, I told him, was not  his best idea. By the end of the conversation he was extremely angry, then sorry, then angry again, on the verge of tears and angry all over again. He then gave me a tip and asked how I would feel if i was in this situation. I told him I wouldn't get into that situation to which he replied rather dramatically "you are always in this situation", luckily some other guy intervened by nudging him out the way and ordering a drink. The good samaritan ended up getting one of the vodka and cokes because the other guy left without it. I had to laugh. I would say the concert was a huge success and I felt quite lucky to be paid to be there.

I am still slightly sick. But the money outweighs my need to not have to blow my nose every five minutes (possible exaggeration). I know money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a whole lot of other stuff, and I like stuff.
       

1 comment:

  1. Funny boy... I see you snuffly again. Does that mean you have work coming up?

    ReplyDelete